The Carrera Cup Edition car is essentially the European RS Basic N/GT car
but equipped with the following added safety equipment to make the car USA legal along
with some other changes to facilitate its ultimate conversion to an M001 Carrera Cup
1) Airbags (legal requirement)
2) Center high mounted stop light with associated thicker rear window glass (legal
3) USA 5 mph bumpers (legal requirement)
4) A door-less rear package tray (Porsche apparently does not want the seat pockets
remaining in the rear to potentially be used as seating without seat belts, note that the
current GT3 uses warning stickers instead)
5) Standard seats (to be replaced with a Recaro SPG racing seat)
6) Alarm and central locking system (legal requirement, Porsche chooses this rather than
stamping numbers on body parts)
7) A 77 Liter gas tank (92 liter not approved for USA)
8) Power windows (manual windows winders won't clear the airbag dash padding)
9) Interior lighting (part of American wiring)
10) Fog lights (part of 5 mph bumper)
11) A 7.4-liter windshield washer tank (no support for 1 liter bottle in USA harness)
12) Standard USA wiring harness (required to support the added electrical equipment)
13) Deck lid and sides are free of any model designation.
14) Aluminum 7 and 8 X 17 inch wheels as on RS America (Aluminum 8 inch rear
wheels were needed for the front in the Carrera Cup racing conversion)
15) Deletion of emblem script on deck lid.
The Carrera Cup USA body was created using a so-called “body in white” as for a USA
airbag equipped car and performing the workshop manual operations listed above for the European Carrera RS Basic. Three of the operations listed in the workshop manual were not performed though: adding the bracket for the small water bottle, deleting the bracket for the large water bottle and removing the brackets for the rear seats.
Carrera Cup USA car serial number 0392, the pre-production car, is slightly different
from the 44 other cars in that it had the bracket for the small RS water windshield washer water tank installed and had the brackets for the rear seating removed. The carpeting was also tightly glued down. Subsequent cars did not have the water bottle bracket, the rear seat brackets were not removed and the carpeting was barely glued into the car to facilitate removal when the car was converted to a racing car.
The Carrera Cup Vehicle M001
The M001 Carrera Cup racing car is not certified for road use and included all the M003 Competition modifications listed above plus the following:
The Carrera Cup Edition cars had all the M003 and M001 modifications performed by Andial/PMNA to become Carrera Cup racing cars, excepting as noted below.
1. Stiffer springs and shock absorbers with a different monoball mounting front and rear.
2. Longer 66mm rear wheel studs with 21mm rear spacers for 68 mm offset wheels (not used in 1993 season).3. Aluminum 9.5” X 17”, 68mm offset wheels in rear. (9.5” X 18” 47 mm offset,
3 piece wheels for the 1993 season cars).
4. Aluminum 8” X 17”, 52mm offset wheels in front (same as RS America and Carrera Cup USA rear wheel, changed to 8X18, 3 piece wheels for 1993 season)
5. Further lowering to just clear a 100mm block and changing of alignment to -2°30'negative camber front and -2°20' negative camber rear and corner weighting. The unique RS rear adjustment plates are flipped left to right to achieve this setting.
6. Steel lug nuts
7. Size 235/45 front tires
8. Installation of ABS defeat switch on dash as well as an ABS high pressure defeat switch on the master cylinder, this modification allows the driver to turn off the ABS manually at the dashboard or with very high brake pedal pressure. The American Cup cars required a special wiring harness to do this since the wiring harness in these cars is the standard American harness. Carrera Cup cars in Europe use the connections in the European RS harness that are already provided.
9. Removal of brake backing plates and installation of protecting shields and boots to protect ABS wiring from heat
10. Removal of the brake-proportioning valve.
11. Pagid racing brake pads without wear sensors
12. ABS brain moved to the alternate mount above original to protect it in a crash.
13. Straight pipes replace mufflers (catalytic converter remains).
14. Modification of air cleaner to eliminate silencing and improve airflow.
15. Removal of engine mounted heater blower and replacement with bypass pipe.
16. Dynamometer test of engine.
17. Clutch plate replaced with racing style plate.
18. Matter Roll Cage installed (a “Z” option in Europe for M003 cars).
19. Removal of fog lights and replacement with red painted aluminum plates (not required on European car which uses the RS false fog lights).
20. Removal of both airbags and lower dash padding (not required on European car).
21. Removal of alarm and central locking system (not required on European car).
22. Towing hooks installed front and rear.
23. Removal of the front bumper alloy beam and hydraulic mounts.
24. Removal of clutch helper spring at clutch pedal.
25. Camber brace installed across front struts.
26. Driver’s side window safety net installed.
27. Clear Vinyl helicopter tape covering of headlights.
28. Wooden drivers floorboard, removal of rubber floor padding.
29. Removal of oil cooler fan, installation of duct plate to guide air to cooler.
30. MOMO steering wheel with horn and turn signal contacts removed (USA cars only).
31. Hood pins installed (USA cars only).
32. Stiffer rubber front stabilizer bushings installed.
33. Stiffer rubber steering couplings installed.
34. Exterior activation of the kill switch with a cowl mounted knob.
35. A Recaro SPG bucket seat covered in cloth for driver only.
36. Solid magnesium engine mounts and a stiffer rubber transmission mount (European Cars only).
37. Spherical bearing drop links for rear stabilizer bar (European Cars only).
38. Rear trailing arm adjustment plates swapped side to side for more negative camber.
39. Removal of engine belly pan.
The M001 Carrera Cup cars do not have any “Carrera RS” labels on them.The Carrera Cup racing cars weighed approximately 2520 to 2540 pounds.